Introduction to GetSocial Activity Feeds¶
Activity feed allows you to increase user engagement. Users can share their achievements or news, communicate with each other and get activities of other users, like them, or get likes, comment other posts or be commented. All this can help you make a new world inside your application and bring a social component there.
On the other side, Activity feed can be used for Announcements. You can share new features, advertise or announce some information over there.
- Global and Custom feeds
- Action Buttons in the feed
- Mentions and Tags
- Automatic profanity filter
- Manual content moderation and user banning
- Fully customizable UI: Completely customize the default UI or create your own on top of our data layer.
- Rich Content: Support text, images and pre-defined actions. Users can also like and comment on activity posts.
- In-app community: Create a community of users by letting them communicate with each other, share tactics, screenshots, brag about achievements and more.
- Community Management: Manage your in-app community by responding to your users, and posting announcements to promote in-app items, events, other portfolio apps, etc.
- Automatic Profanity Filter: Monitoring user-generated content 24/7 is an insurmountable task. It’s tough to keep up with user commentary at all hours of the day yourself, and hiring staff to focus just on that may not be cost-effective. Therefore, GetSocial’s activity feeds have an auto profanity filter that weeds out inappropriate content.
- Content Reporting and Moderation: Apart from automatic profanity filtering, any user-generated content within the app may be manually moderated through the Dashboard. Users can report spam or inappropriate content from within the app, developers get notified about this and can act accordingly: delete content, ban users for some time, etc.
To learn more read our blog post about the benefits of activity feeds.
Global feed in GetSocial represents the default global timeline of your application.
Custom feeds allow you to split general timeline into few topical ones. Custom feeds can be used in different cases:
- Feed per level;
- Feed per world;
- Feed per clan, guild, etc.;
- Feed per item (weapon, shopping item);
- Groups of interest;
- Countries, Cities, Languages;
- Anything you can imagine!
Announcements are high-priority activities in feed, posted by developers from Dashboard.
Announcements have a lifetime and are available on the timeline only in a range of time it was created for.
Use an announcement to share:
- In-App Events;
- In-App Support;
- Just say “Hello” to your users;
For example, you could announce to the users, that only during this day they have unique chance to buy a “Dragon Skin Armor” with 25% discount or visit “Quest of True Love” from 14 till 21 of Feb. Or you can announce about some App changes, like new features, new rules, etc.
You can also choose which feeds announcement should be displayed - obviously, you won’t offer to buy the “Crown of Flower Princess” artifact in the “Rough Bikers” feed.
For convenience, announcements can be created for the future so that you can create one in Dashboard for each day of the week and it will be shown automatically to your users. You can also update already expired announcements to show them again.
Action buttons let users interact with your application in GetSocial Activity Feed.
Using action buttons you can nicely improve your announcements - by clicking the button, the user can be automatically redirected to store with new items, starts playing new quest or receives a discount!
Also, you can make your communication between users richer! For example, allow users to post activities with a button “Get an extra life!”, so users can share a gift between each other in honor of some holiday, or just for fun. Or, if a user can not kill a Super Strong Boss, after third attempt they has a chance to ask for help - this will create a post with a button “Help me to kill that boss!”. Clicking on it starts a battle, where users are together in a party to defeat evil Super Strong Boss!
By the way, each action button click is tracked by our Analytics feature, so you can easily measure which information is more or less interesting for your users and use it in the future.
Mentions and tags¶
Activity Feed mentions allow a user to tag other people in posts/comments they generate. All mentions start with
@ prefix. Check the full guide how to post mentions.
Tags in Activity Feed are a way to logically tag/refer specific content. As opposed to mentions, it’s not person-to-person reference, but rather marks the specific text. All tags start with
# prefix. Check the full guide how to post tags.
You can add mentions and tags to the Activity Feed post from the Dashboard. To post a mention type
@ + minimum 3 chars to see the user search result. To post a tag type
# + minimum 2 chars to see the tags search result.
Activity feed posts can contain any number of mentions and tags; they are clickable and highlighted with blue. After the click on a tag, the current feed will be filtered and show only posts with such tag. The same can be done from the tags search field.
After the click on a user mention, you will see the user info window.
Content reporting and moderation¶
Both automatic content purification and manual content moderation is described in details here: Reporting and moderating Content.
- Check what you can build with Activity Feed API.
- Learn how to create your first Activity Feed.
- Learn how to add Activity Feed to your app in one line of code with prebuild UI.
- Understand how your users use Activity Feed with Analytics.